Since I have been posting mostly art projects/lessons as of late, I decided it was time to change things up a little bit.
Here is a wonderful article that I came across this morning, discussing the value of environmental art in a consumer-driven world. If you have a moment, give it a read! The article also mentions the works of a handful of environmental artists. I particularly enjoyed the work of designers and water crisis campaigners Bloo Nation, titled “Waving Wall.” This installation piece “highlights the considerable water footprint linked to the production of day-to-day goods like coffee, jeans and paper.”
Inspired by this article, I decided to create the following:
10 REASONS THAT ART MATTERS TO THE WORLD:
- “Art transcends the barrier of language, making both the work and message able to be viewed by a global audience.” -Mandy Barker
- During times of financial crisis and environmental concerns, recycle art and public art has the power to visually reflect concerns and raise interest towards a greater cause. –LIKE Architects
- Art has the ability to morph the old into something new, adding aesthetic appeal to places that were trashed or forgotten.
- “Art has the ability to bring people together, outside a purely financially driven model to share ideas, spending time—not money—and returning home richer in mind without having to worry about finding a place for another newly purchased product.” – Michael Pinsky
- Art can recycle materials that would otherwise end up in the trash, such as electronic materials and can “generate new objects that can be reinserted between us in a useful and aesthetic way.” –Rodrigo Alonso
- “Art can make us aware of nature’s presence, but it can also show nature’s processes.” –Stacy Levy
- Art can “take what the site engineers consider a problem and make it into an asset.” It can become a “toolkit for solving simple environmental issues.” –Stacy Levy
- Art can highlight new uses of materials and provide the spark needed to inspire the world to reduce and reuse.
- Environmental art can reinforce the connections between individuals and the natural environment, motivating individuals to take greater care of their world.
- Art brings to light true impact of pollution and other environmental issues through the power of the visual.
I hope you enjoy the article as much as I did!
‘Til later…happy explorations!